Wednesday, May 20, 2020

I WIll Remember You

Dear Room 327, 

Winnie the Pooh, my favorite bear, often said ‘how lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard’.
Well, I feel that way about the class community we built in room 327 this year.
This is supposed to be a thank you speech that gets into all of the amazing work you did to prepare for
Exhibition and the end of 5th grade, but this year it’s different. 

We entered the class together on August 1st and are leaving some kind of virtual classroom setting on
May 22. There are no words to express how much it stings that we didn’t get to say a real goodbye YET. 

This year has been a wild and crazy ride. We laughed A LOT! I made you create 100s of charts in your notebook.
We listened to my music every morning and you couldn’t make me change it no matter how hard you tried.
We learned how to work together as we created tin foil boats, paper airplanes, and index card houses.
There were lots of conversations about why “fair” isn’t always what we want out of life.
Sure, we studied history, math, reading, and science. I hope all of you feel like you are better writers.
But the most important thing of all is that we now know the value of a hug and a high 5.
We feel it when we can’t be in the same space as our friends, and we are all waiting for the real GOODBYE to 5th grade. 

You guys went to Tybee Island and learned to pick up the trash at the beach. (Which may or may not end up back on the beach).
I often misspelled certain names on my reading and math charts and I really don’t know why I couldn’t get it through my head that
Jack and John are not the same names. I apologize to Luch, Jacbo, and John-Henry for all of my flubs! Oops, I did it again. 

From our book tasting to “Fun Fridays” to the Night of Expressions, each of you will forever have a special place in my heart.
I will never forget the tears that I shed when my dad got hurt and passed away, but I am also forever grateful for
a group of kids that wrote cards to someone they didn’t know in hopes of lifting his spirit.
I can’t say that there are any classes that have never seen me cry, I’m a super-sensitive person after all,
but you guys definitely have seen me cry and helped me through some big sadness. 

You are animators, actors, sports stars. You have amazing creativity, even if it is sometimes used for
creating recess games that involve hunting pigs to turn them into bacon. When we walked out of class on March 12,
I never thought that would be how we had to say goodbye to fifth grade. Without hugs or high 5,
yearbook signings, or field day, how can school actually be over?
I know I’m not the only one who wants to have a huge party when this is all over and
I’m expecting all of you guys to show up for the hugs, high fives, and maybe some chart drawing. 

As we come to the end of this super chaotic year, remember that how you treat others matters.
Whether it’s your teachers or your friends continue to be the kindness and justice fighters in this crazy world. 

Never forget that you are loved and make sure that you come to the end of COVID-19 party once it happens!

Love, Mrs. Prophet

No comments:

Post a Comment

We're Going to Be Friends!

Here we are, no one else We walked to school all by ourselves There's dirt on our uniforms From chasing all the ants and worms We clean ...