Monday, August 10, 2020

We're Going to Be Friends!



Here we are, no one else

We walked to school all by ourselves

There's dirt on our uniforms

From chasing all the ants and worms

We clean up and now it's time to learn

Numbers, letters, learn to spell

Nouns, and books, and show and tell

Playtime we will throw the ball

Back to class, through the hall


-Jack White


These song lyrics fit our typical back to school narrative. We typically get new clothes, new books, new bags, new pencils, along with a new teacher and grade assignment. Many of us also walk to school or get on the big, yellow bus that stops outside our house at an hour that is all too early for our brains to comprehend. We have our classes and our recess, we see our friends, we hug, high-5, or just yell across the lower field when we see someone we missed.


2020 has decided that this is NOT our story this year.


We are still getting new teachers and new grade assignments, but along with those 'normal' beginning of school events, we are going to be sitting in front of our computer screens. This is not what anyone had planned nor do we know what is going to happen in the future, so we will just go with whatever comes our way. I think this is a great time for us to be risk-takers. We definitely will have to step outside our comfort zone when it comes to communication and relationships.


Honestly, I am more nervous than I have ever been, and you may be feeling that way too! I can tell you a couple of things to help with the nerves. This teacher has been working to figure this all out for several weeks and I think I've got a plan. It's not a perfect plan and we will have to learn to work together. There will be changes and there will be things that don't work. We all have to lean into the idea of being open-minded now more than ever.


I have a couple of things that I want you to do over the next 6 days. Think about who you are, think about what you want to accomplish this year, and think about all the reasons this will be the best year ever. We will be creating our digital classroom together just like we would when we are at school, so our class will become what we want it to be. If there are things you want to accomplish, we can do it. I have lots of confidence in my new class and believe that we are in for the best year ever. I am excited to meet a new crew of 5th graders this week and start working next week.


Also, make sure you read the card I snuck into your supply bag when you pick it up on Wednesday. The card might just be the answer to a trivia question next week.


PS - The beginning of the year is my favorite time of year because I get to set a new reading goal! Last year my class challenged me to read 60 books (and I read more than 70). How many books do you want me to read this year and do you think I can do it?


No comments:

Post a Comment

We're Going to Be Friends!

Here we are, no one else We walked to school all by ourselves There's dirt on our uniforms From chasing all the ants and worms We clean ...