Wednesday, April 1, 2020

All Fall Down

Whenever your world starts crashing down
That's when you find me...

As we are parenting during a pandemic it seems like I have taken a step back into
the playbook of my childhood. The unhealthy snacks are back, the days of unlimited
television have returned, and there is nothing that can’t be fixed by going outside to play.

When we head to the store the only things left are Lunchables and pizza rolls,
so I guess we have to be ok with that. And honestly, I’m good with it.
What we will remember from the pandemic is what we remember.
If that’s a bunch of junk food, so be it! Unfortunately, it was a whole lot easier
to eat these foods when I was a kid. Something doesn’t sit right now as an adult,
but I guess that’s the real reason why we needed so much toilet paper isn’t it?

We are also baking again (not me, because it's not my jam). Lots and lots of baked goods.
My students are learning to cook and bake at alarming rates. I can’t believe that they are
spending so much time on culinary skills. What about math and reading?!?
Oh, wait....we might just be helping the next generation find a new passion or a new career path!

It seems that we have also lost our competitive nature, the helicopters and lawnmowers are disappearing
and we are parenting and loving the best that we can. The questions on social media are changing.
The ‘How do I do to make my kid do all the assigned work and keep them busy with academic pursuits?’
has morphed into.....'what will the consequences be for my kid if we do baking, cleaning, mowing,
and putting things together instead of that test prep software?'
Who cares?!?!? Not all of us have made that leap,
but I predict that it will happen sooner rather than later.

Screen time has been the biggest debate of the last 10 years, but it seems in this pandemic we are all losing that focus.
I know that we have definitely had some strange conversations about screens in our house over the last month.
You want to have a double feature? Sure, we can watch 2 movies back to back. It’s not like we have anywhere else to go.
Purchasing a new game system has also crossed my mind a few hundred times. However, I don't want to pay pandemic
prices which I think is also out of my mom's parenting playbook.

Kids are finding out how to build things. We spent 5 hours assembling a basketball hoop outside on Saturday
and my kid now can use a wrench, socket wrench, screwdriver, and a rubber mallet with the best of them.
Our next task is going to have to be related to fixing the fence that we have destroyed with all of our outside time.
I'm really hoping that the fence survives all of the balls that have been kicked against it.
Anyone who has ever seen my son play soccer knows that is no small feat.

Opt outside has been a motto for many years for a well-known outdoor outfitter, but how many of us have
actually been trying to get outside every day? With all of the indoor play places and playgrounds closed, we have
rediscovered our backyard. We have learned to play ladder-ball, horse, and search for spiders.
We found a ‘skull spider’. I have no idea if that’s what it is called but my son said he has a skull on his back
so that has to be its name. We sat on the porch and watched the rain. We have spent hours reading and drawing outside.
And honestly, my need for the sun and the warmth of the spring breeze has trumped almost everything else in treating
my anxiety and worry about the pandemic.

We have always enjoyed watching the different birds in our yard and this morning I was reminded,
by my sister, how fun it is to watch an Animal Planet show unfold in your front yard.
Whether it's watching the birds build a nest or a cat catch a squirrel, it's amazing to notice the things
that have been happening every day when we are too busy to notice.

So as we continue to navigate unknown situations in this crazy pandemic,
don’t forget to smile and enjoy the little things that are happening around you.
After all, it’s not like we can do anything about it.  If there is one thing that I will take with me from this pandemic for the rest of my life it would be to look at the world through the eyes of a child again. I think about how frightening yet exciting this must be for a child and I'm in awe in how they are all handling it. Maybe that means we are doing a good job as adults, I don't know. Whatever it might be, this is quite the experience. Whether that child is a teenager, who doesn't want to write a stupid journal because it's stupid or an 8-year-old who believes that he is a teenager, I think that my perspective has certainly been changed for good.

On a side note, when this is over I also really need to do something nice for my neighbor
who has been retrieving all of our rogue athletic equipment.

Any advice on what would make a suitable thank you gift?

No comments:

Post a Comment

We're Going to Be Friends!

Here we are, no one else We walked to school all by ourselves There's dirt on our uniforms From chasing all the ants and worms We clean ...